Friday, August 21, 2015

Fruity Frog Eye Salad

"My Grandma makes frog eye salad for many of our family get-togethers.  I recently made her recipe for the first time for a birthday barbecue and I used fruit-flavored mini marshmallows to add a little bit of color and extra fruitiness.  It turned out so yummy and was a hit at the party!"   
Pasta
1 cup Acini di Pepe pasta (from 12 ounce package)*
1 Tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add pasta, oil and salt.  Cook for 12 minutes.  Drain and cool.
Fruit
1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained and juice reserved
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained and juice reserved
1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks or tidbits, drained and juice reserved
Drain the fruit well, reserving the juice, which will be used in the custard (recipe follows).
Custard
2 cups of juice, reserved from fruit in above step
2/3 cup sugar
4 Tablespoons flour
2 eggs
pinch of salt
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
In a saucepan, whisk together fruit juice, sugar, flour, eggs and salt.  Bring to a boil and cook until thickened.  Remove from the heat and stir in lemon juice.  Set aside to cool.
To Assemble Salad:
In a large bowl, combine pasta and fruit.  Add custard and stir until well combined.  REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT
Right before serving, stir in the following:
1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
3 cups vanilla or fruit-flavored miniature marshmallows
Mix well and serve.  Refrigerate any leftovers.
*TIP:  Acini di Pepe is a very small round pasta that can usually be found on the top shelf on the pasta aisle of your grocery store.    


4 comments:

  1. This sounds great which so far all your recipes that I have read do... Thanks for taking the time to share these with me... With love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so kind Janice! I'm so glad that you visited my blog and I hope you try some of my recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made this today. It is in the refrigerator chilling overnight. It tasted good just like it is. The custard is amazing and gives it a rich flavor. Can't wait to try it tomorrow after the cool whip and marshmallows. I had this recently at a Christmas dinner but made with pudding. NO comparison! I also love the fact that the recipe is already pared down and not the giant portion you get by using the whole box of acini de Pepe. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your very nice comment! I'm so glad that you liked it! The best part of having my blog is when people try my family's recipes and enjoy them as much as we do.

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks!