Saturday, December 14, 2013

Grandma's Turkey Dressing

"This is my favorite holiday recipe!  My family and I wait all year for my Grandma to make it for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.  The combination of bread, rice and sausage makes this stuffing recipe different than any other one I've ever tasted.  It wouldn't be the holidays without it!"

2-(16 ounce) packages of Jimmy Dean Sausage (1 regular and 1 sage)
1 onion, chopped
2-3 ribs celery, chopped
1 loaf of French bread, cut or torn into 1-inch pieces, dried
2 eggs, beaten
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1 bag of prepared Uncle Ben's Boil-In-Bag Rice (From 4-bag package, prepared according to package directions)
 
Brown sausage with onion and celery, until sausage is cooked thoroughly and vegetables are softened.  Add dried bread, eggs, chicken broth, water and cooked rice.  Spoon into a 9x13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

*TIP:  My Grandma tears the bread into pieces and then places it in a large bowl and allows it to sit out on the counter until it is dry.  You can also dry the bread by tearing it into pieces and placing it on a sheet tray and baking it at 300 degrees for about 8 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments! Thanks!